Business Opportunities

Whether you are starting your first business, chasing the next big thing, or finally acting on your dream, you can get your business off the ground in Ballwin. If you are looking to expand, Ballwin has a robust business district. Many car dealerships and specialty shops, along with large box stores co-exist in Ballwin. 

Liquour License     Existing Businesses    Contractor's License

NEW BUSINESSES  What you need to know about starting a new business in Ballwin

Before a prospective business/owner signs a lease or buys a building, they should call the City at (636) 227-9000 to determine if the type and nature of the proposed business is allowed at the specific location. Some types of businesses may only be permitted by a Special Use Exception. Changes to the footprint of the building or the site plan may require other special zoning approvals.

Additonal reasources for businesses:
Missouri Partnership
Small Business Resource Guide
US Small Business Administration

Available SitesView all available sites and building inventory within our city limits.

New Business ChecklistA checklist to help you stay on track.

New Business HandbookA Guide to starting a new business in the City of Ballwin
This booklet includes information about starting your business, signage, parking, Special Information, State of MO requirements and various other topics that you may find helpful.

Request for a Commercial Occupancy Inspection — Please know the square footage for the premises your business will occupy. Please fax your request to 636-207-2360 or email to
Payment is due at time of scheduling.

Once a Special Use Exception or zoning approval has been obtained, or if it is determined that such approval is not necessary, an inspection of the building or space is required. In order to obtain the necessary inspection, the owner or agent of the building must make an application for a non-residential
building inspection with the City of Ballwin and apply for a Use Permit from the Metro West Fire Protection District or the West County EMS & Fire Protection District (whichever has jurisdiction).

An approved inspection and Use Permit are required prior to the issuance of the Occupancy Permit and Business License. (If alteration or remodeling of the building is required, building, plumbing, electrical or
mechanical permits may also be required.)

Commercial Occupancy Permit - After a Use Permit has been obtained from the appropriate fire protection district, the non-residential building inspection has been approved, or all construction work has been completed and approved by the City and the fire district, the new business owner must obtain a Business License and an Occupancy Permit before opening for business.

Apply for a New Business License

Planning to run your business out of your home? Here’s what you need to know.


This section provides a generalized overview of the regulations governing the sale of alcoholic beverages. An applicant for a license hereunder is advised to review all regulations before submitting an application.

Required: It is unlawful for any person to sell, or expose for sale, any intoxicating liquor or non-intoxicating beer in any quantity, without securing the necessary licenses. Such licenses must be obtained from Ballwin, the State of Missouri, and St. Louis County, and must be obtained in this sequence.

Separate license for each place: A separate license shall be required for each place of business. Every license issued under the provisions of this article shall particularly describe the premises at which intoxicating liquor may be sold thereunder, and each license shall not be deemed to authorize or permit the sale of intoxicating liquor at any place other than that described therein.

Persons ineligible generally: No person shall be granted a liquor license unless such person is of good moral character and a qualified legal voter and taxpaying citizen of a county, town, city or village of the state; no corporation shall be granted a liquor license unless the managing officer of the corporation is of good moral character and a qualified legal voter and taxpaying citizen of a county, town, city or village of the state. No person shall be granted a liquor license whose license as a liquor dealer has been revoked, or who has been convicted, since the ratification of the 21st amendment to the Constitution of the United
States, of a violation of the provisions of any law applicable to the manufacture or sale of intoxicating liquor, or who employs in his/her business, as a liquor dealer or licensee, any person whose license has been revoked or who has been convicted of violating the provision of any such law since the date established; provided, that nothing in this section contained shall prevent the issuance of licenses to nonresidents of Missouri or foreign corporations for the privilege of selling to duly licensed wholesalers or soliciting orders for the sale of intoxicating liquors to, by or through a duly licensed wholesaler, within this state.

Liquor License Application


License Renewal The renewal period is now open for 2021 and businesses may renew their business license online. This is for the square footage based businesses and contractor license renewals only. New license applications must be process through the Government Center. Please click here to get started. 

CONTRACTOR’S LICENSE — For businesses not located in Ballwin

The City of Ballwin requires that all contractors doing work within the City of Ballwin have a Contractor’s License. Proof of Worker’s Compensation Insurance is required. If your business is not required to carry Worker’s Compensation Insurance, then an Affidavit of Exemption is required. Special licensing restrictions and exclusions apply to pulling Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Permits. Each contractor must have an active St. Louis County License in their respective field of expertise in addition to a contractor’s license.

Renew your contractor’s license

Apply for a new contractor’s license

Affidavit of Exemption