IN THIS SECTION
Popular Pages in this Section
Business Owner Tips
Tips for Businesses
- Keep cash to a minimum with frequent, irregular deposits or a "drop safe." Use visible stickers or signs to advertise your cash control policy.
- Install visible closed circuit television cameras near cash registers.
- Keep your establishment well lit at night. Clear any obstructions that prevent someone on the street from seeing what is happening inside the store.
- Designate a small bundle of cash "bait money." Record the serial numbers of these bills and make sure you give this cash to robbers.
- During a robbery, remember that a robber is a bundle of nerves and, therefore, is very dangerous. Instruct your employees to obey a robber’s instructions calmly and politely.
- Have employees memorize a signal or "code" to alert each other to potential or actual robbers.
- If robbed, try to memorize as much as possible about the robber’s description as in height, weight, hair color, eye color and race.
- If a vehicle is used as a means of escape, provide a brief description of the vehicle, license plate information and the direction of travel.
- After the robber has fled the scene and it is safe to do so, dial 911and report the incident immediately. While waiting for the Police/Authorities to arrive, remember Do Not touch anything at the scene.