Trash Pick-up & Recycling
The City of Ballwin does not provide trash collection services. Instead, we contract with an independent collection service, Republic Services. For the most current and accurate information, residents should contact Republic Services directly with questions or comments regarding their service.
Republic Services - Bridgeton
12976 St. Charles Rock Rd.
Bridgeton, MO 63044
Phone Number: (636) 947-5959
In order to ensure collection of your trash, yard waste, and recycling, please put them out for collection at the curbside by 6 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. To find which day your trash is scheduled to be collected, enter your address using the Local Information & Schedule feature on Republic Services' website.
Holidays - Republic Services does not pick up on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Occasionally a regular trash pickup day will fall on a holiday. When this occurs, pick up all week will take place on the following day. On such days, pickups will not necessarily be at the normal time, so residents should make sure to get the trash out by 6 a.m. Click here to view the Republic Services 2021 Holiday Trash Schedule.
- By law, only non-hazardous household solid waste can be collected. Liquid waste products cannot be collected in a liquid state.
- Non-hazardous liquids can be mixed with an absorbent such as Kitty Litter, but must be completely dry and with the lid off the container to show the driver that it is dried out.
- Trash is limited to Republic Services cart provided. Residents have the choice of a 48-gallon, 65-gallon or a 95-gallon and prices are based on the size of container chosen. Occasional overage may be called in and scheduled. Consistent overage (more than 3 times in a 12-week period) the resident will be asked to upsize their container to the next highest size or if they already have the largest container they will be asked to rent an additional container.
- All services are “curbside” which is placed within four feet (4’) of the traveled portion of the adjoining roadway.
- Trash mixed with yardwaste cannot be collected.
- Items over four feet (4’) high or long must be broken down or cut to four feet (4’) or less.
- Loose materials must be containerized or bundled.
- All rubbish (waste that rots and stinks) should be bagged AND the bag(s) should be placed in trash carts. Republic Services will NOT be responsible for any garbage spread about when animals or birds rip any such bag(s) open.
- Trash cannot be collected in cardboard boxes. All boxes must be broken down and may be recycled.
- Medically necessary needles (sharps), such as diabetic syringes will only be collected when in approved sharps containers which are available from your syringe supplier or you may use a puncture proof container with a tightly closed lid.
- Bulky Trash includes any type of solid waste that cannot be placed into trash cart. These items are to be serviced on the last pick up day of the month and scheduled for collection. All boxes need to be broken down and bundled. Bulk is limited to two items/150 lbs at no charge. Please call Customer Service to schedule any bulky pick up. Bulky Trash does NOT include major appliances, automobile parts or components, construction debris, or any other such items.
- Major Appliances (White Goods) are to be scheduled for collection through Republic Services Customer Service (636) 947-5959. There is no extra charge for this service.
- Tires and Batteries will not be collected at all.
- Construction material or the materials that result from home remodeling projects can be picked up if it fits in the Republic Services trash cart (must be level with the top of the can) and weigh less than 50 lbs. All other materials must be quoted by the Customer Service Representative or the Route Supervisor for a special pick up with a minimum charge of $50. Some examples of the construction or remodeling materials are:
- Carpeting and other flooring materials
- Drywall or sheetrock
- Wood (e.g., 2X4’s, plywood, paneling, peg board)
- Bathroom fixtures (toilets, tubs, commodes)
- Kitchen fixtures (cabinets, islands. Etc.)
- Plumbing (pipes, sinks)
- Large light fixtures (if the fixture does not fit in a 32-gallon can with the lid secured normally, we are unable to pick up)
- Roofing material (e.g., shingles, ceramic roof tiles, tar paper, gutters, fascia boards)
This above list is not all-inclusive. Please contact our Republic Services Customer Service office to inquire about scheduling construction items to be picked up for an additional charge.
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Yardwaste mixed with trash cannot be collected.
- Loose yardwaste must be bagged in standard 30-gallon paper yardwaste bags or placed in designated 32-gallon or smaller yardwaste cans or in Republic Services yard waste carts. Cans or bags should not weigh more than 75 pounds or what one person can lift.
- Yardwaste in cardboard boxes or plastic bags will NOT be collected.
- Yardwaste carts are to be used for yardwaste ONLY.
- Customer-owned containers used for yardwaste should be marked with the letter “X” or the words “Yardwaste Only.”
- Tree limbs and branches less than six inches (6”) in diameter must be tied (with TWINE – NO WIRE) in bundles no bigger than four feet (4’) long by twenty-four inches (24”) in diameter; however, no bundle is to weigh more than seventy-five (75) pounds. Limbs and branches six inches (6”) or more in diameter are considered Bulky Trash.
- Tree stumps should be cut to yard waste standards and then either placed in containers, yard waste bags or tied and bundled no bigger than four feet (4’) long by twenty-four inches (24”) in diameter; however, no bundle is to weigh more than seventy-five (75) pounds. Unlimited.
- Christmas trees will be collected at no additional charge. The tree must be free of all decorations including tinsel, garland, ornaments and lights. The tree must also be cut shorter than six feet (6’) in length. Christmas lights are NOT recyclable, please do not put them in your recycle bin.
- Once Weekly Service: Republic Services has automated equipment to service 35, 65 OR 95 gallon recycle carts only. All recycle items must be contained in the recycle cart. Customers should contact Republic Services Customer Service if there are any issues with their carts.
- Clean Recycling: Help keep our recycling services running smoothly by eliminating contaminants in the recycling system. This includes making sure items are cleaned and dried, but also keeping non-recyclable items out of the single stream recycle bins.
- What goes in your blue bin? Paper, flattened cardboard, plastic bottles and containers, glass bottles and jars, metal food and beverage cans, food and beverage cartons.
- What does NOT? Plastic bags, styrofoam, food waste, needles, disposable plates and containers, garden hoses, Christmas lights and more. This does not mean these items are not recyclable, they just cannot be accepted in the single stream recycling system. For example, many retailers will collect plastic bags to be recycled, but these bags damage equipment and slow down the process at Republic's recycling plants. Republic has provided this informational flyer to help educate customers. Please review it and share it with your friends and neighbors. You can also utilize this helpful tool on St. Louis County's website: Recycle Wizard.
- You can find more helpful information about recycling in the St. Louis region at the following sites:
Christmas trees will be collected at no additional charge the first two weeks of January. The tree must be free of all decorations including tinsel, garland, ornaments, and lights. The tree must also be cut shorter than four feet (4’) in length and may not be in plastic bags.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Partnership, that includes St. Louis City, St. Louis County, Jefferson County, and the St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District was created in 2013 to replace the one-day collection events previously hosted by St. Louis County Health Department to assist residents in the safe removal of hazardous waste.
4100 Seven Hills Dr.
Florissant MO 63033
291 E. Hoffmeister
St. Louis, MO 63125
To schedule your reservation please visit www.hhwstl.com or call (314) 615-8989. Residents should bring proof of address to the appointment, such as a utility bill or drives license. You are not required to print the appointment voucher. St. Louis County residents without internet access can call their jurisdiction for assistance in making a reservation at (314) 615-8989.