Building Permits & Occupancy Inspection Information

Building Permits

Building permits are required for all kinds of construction, including room and garage additions, basement finishes, sheds, barns, fences, decks, satellite dishes and swimming pools. Before beginning on any construction, of these items, it may be necessary that a building permit be applied for and obtained. If you have any questions about if a permit is needed or what to do to obtain a permit, please contact the Building Inspections Department at (636) 227-2129.

These forms are available in the Document Center

  • Building Permit/Application
  • Fence Permit/Application
  • Plumbing & Drain Laying Permit/Application
  • Roofing Requirements
  • Mechanical Permit/Application
  • Electrical Permit/Application
  • Sign Permit
  • Demolition Permit

Permit Information/Resources

Occupancy Inspection

In the City of Ballwin, all occupied buildings must be inspected and certified for compliance with the Ballwin Housing Code before they can be sold or occupied by a new resident, tenant or business. New occupants are required to obtain an Occupancy Permit before taking up occupancy in any house, condominium, apartment or commercial building. Inspection applications and Occupancy Permits can be obtained at the Government Center. Contact the Housing Inspector (636-227-2129) for details.

These forms are available in the Document Center

  • Request for Occupancy Inspection form
  • Credit Card Phone/Mail Payment form
  • Occupancy Permit
  • Permit and Inspection Information Handbook
  • Ballwin Housing Code Handbook

Petition Forms

Ballwin Forms

All forms are in Adobe Acrobat® format. To view and print the forms, you will need the Adobe Reader. If you do not have this application, you may download it free from